Wednesday, January 4, 2012

My only use for math since I graduated high school (Just kidding! Er, mostly.)


 Word.


We’ve established that diets and I go way back, right? And how, when I started exercising in 2010 it was definitely about health and fitness and not really about weight loss?

By April 2010 I had been regularly exercising for a few months and was starting to feel good. I wasn’t winning any triathlons or anything, but I was able to keep up a steady quick pace on my park walks and Jillian’s directives to do pushups no longer filled me with terror. Again, I didn’t even own a scale at that point, but my clothes were starting to get a littler looser (“loose,” “not cutting off circulation,” same thing) and in the back of my head that little voice was starting to pipe up: What if I lost weight? What if I got thin?

This time there was a competing voice that tempered me somewhat. This voice wasn’t negative, it was pragmatic. It reminded me that life was long and I had time to go slowly. It reviewed all my previous diets and weight loss attempts and came up with things that worked and things that didn’t. This little voice also pointed out that, as much as I’d tried this and that over the years, I’d never really given plain old calorie counting a try.

Calorie counting is, in theory, simple (I say “in theory” because I feel like I now have an advanced degree in calorie counting, and could go on at length on about it. I don’t want you to drool on your keyboard, so I won’t). You track what you eat and try to create a calorie deficit, eating fewer calories than your body needs to sustain its activity level. In turn your body is forced to “burn” stored energy for fuel and that creates weight loss. With me so far? Now, to this day, I have no idea why I never tried it before. Because it seemed old fashioned and lacked glamour? Because I didn’t perceive it as easy? Because I didn’t really get it? In any case, I was ready to try it now. It had two big advantages: it was free (yay!) and no foods were off limits as long I as tracked them.

There are tons of free calorie counting websites out there, and I don’t remember how I ended up using the one that I did, but I signed up at Livestrong and started using it. At first, I ate pretty much the way I usually did – no dramatic changes – and started observing what left me hungry and what didn’t. Which foods were worth the calorie splurge and which ones weren’t.  I started realizing that I could eat a heckuva lot of vegetables for relatively few calories, and that eggs in the morning filled me up forever while my Eggo Nutri-grain waffles – even though they didn’t have a lot of calories – made me hungry a couple of hours later.

The weirdest thing about all of this? It was fun. I know I’m strange in many ways, but trust me when I say that calorie counting is fun for me in the same way that puzzles, or Sudoku, or crosswords are fun for others. It’s interesting to look at my calorie budget for the day and figure out how I’m going to spend it.

I started counting calories April 21, 2010 and have never looked back.


Next up: Learning to use the scale as A tool, not THE tool.

No comments:

Post a Comment